Middle & High School Lesson
Ignite MS & HS 3-11-20
How has your week been going?
What is one situation you can give praise for?
What comes out of your mouth originates from your heart. What are you putting in your heart?
Have you ever said something you knew you should not have said; even though you thought it. How did this make you feel?
What can you do, starting today to fill your heart with things of God?
8 “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’
1. How can we as Jesus followers make sure this verse does not apply to us?
10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
1. Discuss this verse
2. Defile means to ruin or spoil. How can we apply this verse to our daily life?
Prayer request and prayer.
K- 5th Grade Lesson
Ignite k-5 3-11-20
Read Mathew 15:1-20
1. Have you ever heard the expression, “you are what you eat?” It means that if you eat healthy things you’ll have a healthy body.
During Jesus’ life many people followed strict rules about the foods they could eat because they believed that God didn’t want them eating certain things. But in today’s gospel lesson Jesus tells them that it’s not what goes into their mouths that matters to God – it’s what comes out.
Question - What do you think Jesus meant? What comes out of our mouths? (Solicit children’s responses.)
2. Jesus said to honor your mother and father. How can you honor your mother and father?
3. Write down 5 ways you can honor your mother and father.
4. How can you make sure what comes out of your mouth is of God?
5. Jesus said their lips honor me but their heart is far from me. What does this verse mean to you?
Activity 1 – coloring activity
Activity 2- lesson question sheet.
Prayer request and prayer